Monday, April 4, 2016

Farmhouse Construction Update: Roof and Windows

Pin It
The outside of the farmhouse is finally beginning to look more like what I had envisioned and less like the rundown ranch that I first saw almost three years ago.  The new cedar shake shingle roof is complete with the exception of some copper flashing and a small section around the new chimney.

Did I mention how nice it is to go in the house now and not have water dripping from the ceiling when it rains?!
                                                                I never thought that I'd actually utter those words but it is.
Apparently, my appreciation for a nice dry space indoors is shared by the sparrows that have taken up residence in the ceiling of the master bedroom. No kidding. They fly around the bedroom and bathroom. I"m guessing that they're living in the attic. I just hope that they don't decide to nest there because that will mean relocating them when the insulation goes in.
Some how having birds living inside the house during framing seems apropos...we had robins living in the ceiling of the garage when we built the house at 127 and I left a section of drywall and the insulation out of that portion of the house until after the babies had left the nest.
                                                                                                          Yep, I'm a nature lover.  Go figure. 
Another big change happened on Saturday.  The windows and exterior doors (except for the front door) are being installed! We had a typical spring day in Chicago...rain, sun, periods of white out snow. Having windows and doors installed also helps to make the farmhouse weather proof and makes it more difficult for things like skunks and possum to be waiting for me in the kitchen some morning when I go over to open things up for the trades.
                       
                     Birds I can deal with. Skunks and other large, nocturnal crawly creatures? Notsomuch.

In the rear of the house, the mason is working to close some openings where we no longer have windows and to enlarge other openings to accommodate the new, larger windows. We're reusing the original brick from the front of the house that we cleaned and stacked last fall when it was removed where the addition joins the original house.
The new fireplace chimney is formed, prepped, and waiting for stone this week. The dovecote is waiting for its copper roof and siding but I love the shape.  
Tomorrow, the carpenters will rebuild the bay windows that you see in the photo below, remove the shutters and will also rebuild the box bay in the second photo of this post both of which will receive their new windows.
Over the next couple of weeks, the limestone will arrive and be used to create the front entry, the fireplace, the bottom of the wall on the front entry.  The porches will have their concrete caps poured in preparation for the stone that they will receive.  The siding will be installed as will the yet to be chosen front entry door. I've got two good candidates, I just need to choose one.

There is also work being done on the inside.  The final framing will be completed, the plumbing will be tested and the electrician will install the new service and begin installing the new wiring. Finally, if it ever stops raining (and snowing), we'll grade the yard and begin landscaping. I'll share updates as there are things worth sharing. 

Have a great week and thanks for reading!